Monday, October 5, 2015

Cr*p on Facebook

My Facebook friends (though not usually the ones I actually know - I accept Friend requests from everyone, whether I actually know them or not.  Who knows, they may be interesting!  ... but I digress.) keep sharing stuff like this:
What am I supposed to do with it.  I don't believe there is a God, ever was a God or ever will be, so the proposition is entirely meaningless to me.

I've tried adding a witty Comment, but the result is usually that the perpetrator Unfriends me - which itself is interesting because it suggests that such people can only be friends with someone who shares their (to my mind, ridiculous) beliefs.  What narrow lives they must lead!

I've tried setting "Do not see posts from <<originator>>" (my 'friends' never generate these things themselves - they just recycle other people's stuff.)  The problem is that there seem to be too many originators.  There must be vast factories churning out this stuff, probably in the American Bible Belt.

So why do people post stuff like this to others they don't even know?  Are they trying to convert me?  I suspect not - they don't even know me or what I believe.

I think they re-post these messages to reassure themselves of their own beliefs.  A bit like buying a Volvo and then reading all the Volvo ads.

Or maybe they were too hung-over last Sunday to go to church and now feel guilty so re-post one of these messages to make up for it.

Or maybe there is so little of value in their lives they can't find anything more interesting to post.

Whatever the reason, I wish they wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment